I am thinking that we can share with each other our top 3 or so esoteric books on this thread and then from there I can compile a list of the top 20 books that the members of this site think are the best. So, whichever book is listed the most gets the #1 spot and so on....I'll give it a couple of weeks or so to let people post here so that we can get a lot of input. Please only post books that have profoundly impacted your understanding of occult phenomena. Whether they have exercises, theories or both doesn't matter. Just list whatever gave you the biggest insights that you think other people should read.
Your #1 is worth 3 points, #2 is worth 2 points, and #3 is worth 1 point. Whichever book has the most points wins.
Here is my list
1. Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon
2. The Kybalion by 3 Initiates
3. Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts - Donald Michael Craig
AND....after a few months of comments, we finally have our winners!!!
And the glory goes to:
1. The Kybalion by 3 Initiates
2. We have a tie! Secret Teachings of all Ages by Manly Palmer Hall and The Chemical Wedding by Christian Rosenkreuz
3. We have a 3 way tie! Initation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon, Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche, and All the Channeling Material by Ra in the Law of One.
And lets not forget the others! They all tied for 4th place!
The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P Hall. The Kybalion by the Three Initiates. Garden of Pomegranates by Israel Regardie or Science of Being by E. Ferson.
tragic message of the ancients - ernst muldashev
meditations - marcus aurelius
the chemical wedding - christian rozenrkuz
Robert Bruce - Astral Dynamics
Frater UD - Practical Sigil Magick
Helrunar: A Maunal of Rune Magick - Jan Fries
Here are some of my favorites (in no particular order):
The Book of Tokens, Paul Foster Case
The Chemical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz
Mysterium Coniunctionis, C. G. Jung
The Book of Secrets, Osho
The Masks of the Gods (especially Creative Mythology), Joseph Campbell
OK, that's was an interesting experience; going through my library and picking out my top 3 esoteric books.
Of course I kept my search to physical (paper) books which I have read in their entirety.
So for a comprehensive introduction to the world of the occult I recommend:
1. The Secret Teachings of All Ages - Manly P. Hall
2. Anatomy of the Psyche - Edward F. Edinger
3. How to know Higher Worlds - Rudolf Steiner
and if I may; honorary mention goes to: The Forge and the Crucible - Mircea Eliade.
I look forward to the compiled list.
May the force be with you, Aloha
A Treatise on Cosmic Fire (AAB (DK)) (most important book in the world). The Planetization of Consciousness (Dane Rudhyar) . The Nature of the Soul (Lucille Cedercrans) (R)
1.Reincarnation the cycle of necessity - Manly Palmer Hall
2. The Multi-Orgasmic Man by Mantak Chia or if you're female, Cultivating Female Sexual Energy Mantak Chia
3. It may not be classified as esoteric but my 3rd pick will include all the channeling material by Ra in Law of One
Loved the channeling by Ra!